Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Microwave Caramel



There are a few things about me that you have probably already figured out. #1 I love quick and easy recipes (I have a very short attention span). #2 I love making things in the microwave (it just makes it so much easier!).  I am so excited to share this recipe with you I can barely stand it!


I’ll back up a bit… A few days ago Stella decided to eat one of my plants, this darn dog eats everything! This specific plant is very poisonous and she had an extreme allergic reaction. So within 5 minutes of me getting after her for eating the plant, she swelled up like a balloon. We immediately jumped into the car and headed to the vet (this was very dramatic I was yelling at Rikard to drive faster the entire time).  Thank goodness we live close to the vet because by the time we got there poor little Miss Stella had stopped breathing.  So, there I am running into the vet screaming “I need help!” carrying Stella.  They immediately got her on oxygen, gave her shots and saved our sweet little pup. After everything settled down, all I could think was the little girl in Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. Violet Beauregarde, the gum chewing champ, who blew up like a blueberry! Good thing she is cute! (Stella not Violet Beauregarde).

So needless to say, I needed some serious cooking therapy when we got home.  The first thing I did was pop this into the microwave. Oh delicious caramel you fix everything!









Microwave Caramel

Ingredients
½ Cup               Butter
½ Cup               Light corn syrup
½ Cup               Light brown sugar
½ Cup               White sugar
½ Cup               Sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp                 vanilla
½ Cup               Chopped Nuts (optional)
Directions
1.  Melt butter in microwave safe bowl. Stir in corn syrup, both sugars, and sweetened condensed milk. Mix until sugars are dissolved.
2.  Microwave on high for 3 ½ minutes. Stir.
3.  Microwave on high for an additional 3 ½ minutes (soft-ball stage)
4.  Stir in vanilla and nuts (if you add them)
5.  Spray a dish with non stick spray. Pour into dish and refrigerate until set.
6.  Cut into squares and wrap in plastic wrap. Enjoy!  

Source: Bake Space




22 comments:

  1. Wow... Well I'm so glad Stella is ok! How scary! But this recipe is amazing!!! I am SO trying this asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those caramels look so good and glad to hear Stella made it okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Stella is back to her old ways of eating everything... I hope you guys enjoy the caramel! I have made it three times this week, it works great with recipes that call for caramel.
    Thanks again!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear your doggie is okay! And those caramel looks so good and seems easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sinfully delicious! mmmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear Stella had such a horrifying experience. You too! Since our German Shepherd tends to lick the ground, taste test everything that comes in contact with his face, I've kept a list of what to do if he eats something toxic.
    The caramels look delicious. I have such a weakness for toffee and caramel. You bated the hook with that recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joanne, That is so smart I need to start a list. Miss Stella is an albino so she has food allergies skin allergies and just about every kind of allergy there is. It is such a good idea to have a list. Thank you for the idea.
    I hope you like the caramel... Its so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful idea! Love that you could do this quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously microwave caramel.... GENIUS!!!! I always do it the hard way I'm going to give yours a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this recipe Dawnie! I can't wait to try it. I love easy recipes too. Your story was funny, I love that part of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this frill free recipe. I always burn my caramel. Hahahaha.. I can't wait to make these.. and Stella is so cute. Silly little girl, I used to have a dog who ate everything too, got to watch him like a hawk. Glad to know Stella's better now. Cheers, Jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh - I'm so glad your puppy is okay! When my dog was stung on the nose by a bee and had an allergic reaction - the vet said to keep children's benedryl handy for those occasions then dose them and head to the vets!

    Caramels look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love using the microwave too! It's an underrated appliance. These caramels look great

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice nice .. and you say microwave which makes it more interesting :)
    www.sunshineandsmile.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!!! That looks so delicious and you make it sound very easy to make. I have never made a caramel before but this one sounds like it would be a good starting place. I too have a short attention span :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitely a rough day there. I didn't know you could make caramel in the microwave. Neat recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Who knew caramel could be microwaved?! I've always been too intimidated to make it on the stovetop (plus I lost my candy thermometer) but now I can try it like this! Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a frightening experience with your puppy! I am very excited about the recipe. I love caramel, even though it is awful for your teeth. I cannot believe you can make it in a microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I was sitting on the edge of my chair and hoping that you made it to the vet on time. What a cute puppy too. This is the perfect recipe to make on a rainy afternoon (which we've had a lot of lately). Love your blog!

    Alaiyo
    (Your Foodbuzz Friend)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been wanting to make homemade caramel for awhile. This is so much easier than anything else I've seen. Thanks...I'll be trying this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, I'm so glad Stella is OK! What a sweet pup!

    I'm a huge caramel fan, so this recipe looks fabulous! I've never thought of making them in the microwave, but what an incredible short cut~

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad to see that Stella is back to normal-very cute pup! This is a perfect recipe for the upcoming holidays, especially for caramel apples. Love the technique.

    ReplyDelete