Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Navajo Tacos


I have been looking for something different to make, I sometimes get into a cooking rut.  I get worried about trying new things because I am afraid they won’t taste as good as something I know how to cook,   but last night I was feeling dangerous! I wanted something not only new but something I have never done.  I searched and searched and finally came up with these.

When I was a kid and we would go to the State Fair three things really stuck out in my mind… (Mom this one is for you haha) The people watching, the animals (especially the sheep), and the Navajo Tacos! If you haven’t gone to the State Fair and had a true Navajo Taco, this year is your year! You need to go to the State Fair find a really good bench, load up a giant Navajo Taco, get an ice cold beer, eat, drink and enjoy the people watching.  Seriously where do these people come from? I swear the State Fair brings out a different breed of people.  DON’T KNOCK IT TILL YOU TRY IT! SERIOUSLY!!!   Wait… I almost forgot, after all that lovely goodness of the Navajo Taco and the happy feeling from all the laughing. Work your way over and check out the animals.  The more I think about this maybe you should check out the animals before you eat, it’s pretty disgusting and stinks to high hell in there.  Good luck! 

Navajo Tacos

Ingredients
Taco bread
1 Cup    Flour
¼ Tsp   Salt
1 tsp     Powdered Milk
1 tsp     Baking Powder
½ Cup   Water
1          Bottle Vegetable Oil (for frying)
Toppings
1 Lb      Ground beef
1Cup     Chopped onions
1 Can    Rotel tomatoes
1 Pkt     Taco seasoning
1can     Black or refried beans
1          Head of lettuce
3 or 4    Tomatoes
1 can    Sliced black olives
            Salsa    
            Ranch dressing  
Directions (fry bread)
1. Whisk together Flour, salt, powdered milk, and baking powder in a large bowl. Pour water on the flour mixture all at once and stir with a fork until it is a large clump.
2. Don’t knead the dough just mix it with your hands to form a ball. Cut it into 4 pieces.
3. With floured hands stretch each piece to form a disk about 5 to 7 inches.
4. Heat the vegetable oil to 350°F/176°C (Do not let it get so hot it smokes) Test it by dropping a small piece of dough in and see if it begins to fry.
5. Take formed dough and gently place into oil be careful not to splash. Fry until brown then flip and fry the other side. About 2 to 3 minutes on each side. 
Directions (Meat filling)
1.  Brown the ground beef, Rinse or drain the fat off, and add the onions, tomatoes and taco seasoning. Simmer until the onions are soft.
2. Heat the beans.
3. Chop lettuce and tomatoes
4. Pile it all on top of fry bread like a taco salad. Enjoy.



3 comments:

  1. Don`t tell anyone but I never had tacos before.
    Now I want one.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking about state fairs is bringing back memories. Geesh, I feel like going to one now! The atmosphere is so fun and the smell of that food cooking, mmm mm mmm. Love this taco! It must taste great with the homemade fry bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawnie - I love Navajo Tacos, so I won't be saying anything but YUM!!!! Living in the southwestern US, they're not hard to find. A lot of local NM restaurants have them on the menu and they are definitely one of my favorites. They even sell them at the baseball stadium! I've never made them myself, but that might just have to change. Thanks for sharing your recipe! What a life changing event - moving to Sweden!

    ReplyDelete